Wednesday, April 21, 2010

To GRE or Not to GRE?

That IS the question.

You see, two of the schools that are on my list, it turns out, will only accept the GRE for the program I'm interested in (as opposed to the GMAT--which I took).  The first program is a longshot for me (one of the top 2 or 3 programs in the US), and it's not really one of my preferred programs (although it'd be hard to say no if I was accepted), but I don't think I'd take the GRE if it were just for that school.  But I was scouring the website of one of my other prospects the other evening, and found that it requires the GRE as well.

So now I'm torn.  This second program is a respected program (maybe 20-50 range), with high research output.  And as it turns out, I was introduced to a professor there at a recent conference; we had a great conversation and she's made subsequent email introductions to a few of her colleagues there in the department.  So, now, I feel like I really SHOULD take the stinkin' GRE. 

Grr...

I was REALLY looking forward to being done with the whole aptitude test thing.  All that studying, and prepping; if I take the GRE, I'll have to do it all over again.

I dunno.  Should I?

2 comments:

  1. Did you call them up and ask them if they would accept the GMAT? I only took the GRE. Even though many schools said they would only accept the GMAT, when I called and asked they all agreed to accept my GRE scores.

    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. No, I didn't. Didn't even think about it. Great idea! Thanks for the comment; I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete