Saturday, April 17, 2010

CV Draft Done...But the Stinkin' SOP!

I've completed the first draft of my CV.  It's actually a pretty solid CV!  My research experience already rivals someone who's been in a PhD program for a few years (2 major conference presentations, one regional presentation, one paper under review at a reputable journal and two other research projects in progress).  And I've got some great work experience (a very high level research oriented management role at a large manufacturing company).  All in all, I'm pretty proud of the CV.  May have a chance to add an item or two to it by app time.

The SOP is the thing that's getting me.  I've started it.  Twice.  And it just doesn't seem to flow right.  I feel like I'm devoting too much to time in the beginning to the "history" thing (the "how did you come to be interested in what you're interested in").  I've got a great story--one that does a good job of taking me through my professional career (and the SOP as written really does a good job at extrapolating the really cool things I've done in my professional career and how they play into my foundation for a solid, successful career in academia), but it seems like by the time I get down to my specific research interests, they're buried beneath the story.

That doesn't seem right.

I dunno...maybe you can help me?  I'm under no illusion that this blog is widely read, but I know a few of you read it; those who've gained admission to a few programs, tell me about your SOP. 

4 comments:

  1. Actually, you are right about the personal story part - mine started with a full emotional story about what I am doing and why I am applying :)

    But in the end, it was absolutely professional and to the point. In fact, the closer you keep it to your research goals and emphasize the fact that you know what you are getting into the better. At least IMHO! But then again, you should definitely have your own style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you much for the words of advice! I'm assuming that your strategy suited you well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had two major drafts of my SOP. The first one was overly emotional and contained too much prose. The second was much more direct and objective. I would suggest that you avoid the emotional story if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FWIW, the SOP is the only part of your application where you can demonstrate your personality. Imagine that you are on the adcomm, reading 50-200 SOPs. The ones that show personality will pop more than the ones that don't. In fact, those that don't may be undifferentiable...

    ReplyDelete