Thursday, March 4, 2010

The List Grows...And Shrinks

So as I make progress, the list expands.  I've spent quite a bit of time this week researching faculty at the various schools on my list.  I've added a few to the list, and taken a few away; I have 10 on the list now.  I created a spreadsheet that has a number of factors (from "fit" of faculty with my research interests, to quality of the university, amount of the stipend, location, and "wife"--a factor she gets to put in based on her relative desire to land in the various cities).  Each factor has a weight.  I've gone through and assigned a value to each, and based on how the ratings stacked up, I've put together three sets of schools: Set A: top schools that score VERY high on my rating sheet; Set B: still top schools with pretty closely aligned research interests, but which score a little lower on my rating sheet; and Set C: very good schools that aren't exactly dead on with respect to my research interests.  I've also included two Set D schools--or second tier schools--as a sort of backup plan.

I've listed the various faculty I'm targeting at each university, and making a plan to scour their work.  Now I'm working on a master schedule (each one of the schools has a different application process and schedule) and a draft Statement of Purpose. 

Still to do: CV, GMAT (I'll take it this month), contact potential references.

No comments:

Post a Comment