Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Conversation With a Recommendation

Had a great conversation with one of my recommendations.  Spent quite a while going through the various elements of my package with him; we talked about the areas that are my biggest weaknesses (my undergrad GPA), and how to deal with them in the application process.  Also talked about my strengths (my GMAT, Grad GPA, work experience and, most importantly, research experience), and how to emphasize that in the application process.

We went through my list of schools; he encouraged me to expand the list on the high side (apply to more top tier schools; my profile is good enough to land a spot and it'd be terrible to end up at a tier 2 school, not because I wasn't qualified, but because the three top tier schools I applied to just didn't have a spot for me).  I felt that was a positive thing!

Finally, I asked him, formally, if he would provide me with a letter of recommendation, and he said he'd be glad to!  I'm very excited; he's a well respected (and VERY well-known researcher) in the field I want to go into, so I know the LOR will carry quite a bit of weight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment