Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Short List

The plan is to go for a PhD in Management.  I'm targeting top business schools across the country, so tonight I sat down and pored over the various schools, first creating a comprehensive list of the schools I think I'd like to attend. 

I'm focusing on top-20 schools for the moment.  I've got a few "aim high" type schools (the ones with the "name"); a few top 10 schools that I think I've got a pretty good chance of getting in to; and a few 10-20 schools that I feel really good about.  My list currently has 13 schools:

  • UCLA
  • UC Berkeley
  • University of Washington
  • USC
  • University of Maryland
  • Cornell
  • University of Texas at Austin
  • Stanford University
  • Columbia University
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Harvard Business School
  • Carnegie-Mellon University

They're generally listed in order of preference (although, there are a few that might shift up or down a slot or two, depending on which criterion I'm focusing on at the moment).  The things that are important: quality of the program (obviously), particularly in the areas of Strategy and Organizational Behavior; researchers I'll be working with (I want to work with people who are interested in stuff that interests me); location (I'd LOVE to stay in California--and so would Shawna); how horrible the weather is where we eventually move (Minnesota really freaks me out).

More to come in coming weeks.  For now, I've got to focus on the GMAT.  I took it a little over a year ago (to get into the Drexel LEAD MBA program), and got a respectable score (680), but I'm pretty sure that, with a little studying, I can land at least a 730 (of course I'm shooting for perfect).  So I bought a voucher for this extraordinarily expensive 40 hour GMAT course; it starts tomorrow (10 hours in a classroom on a Sunday; doesn't sound incredibly exciting). 

I'll let you know how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment