Friday, April 25, 2014

Moving

Moving across the country is stressful.

We're moving to a pretty desirable area, which means it's hard to find available places--and when you find them, they're very expensive.  And the availability issue is compounded by the fact that houses are old in the area, and Massachusetts is a pretty paternalistic state, and has some pretty rigid laws regarding children under six living in houses that haven't been deleaded (we have a 4 year old).

And, of course, I'm 3,000 miles away, so when something pops up, I either have to go for it sight unseen, or get out to Boston ASAP to visit.

Preparing for the move is exhausting, too.  We've been married for almost 15 years, and we've accumulated a LOT of stuff over the years.  But there's nothing like quote of $3.35 per cubic foot moving quote to make you question the wisdom of keeping your My Little Pony collection.  And I'm suddenly not so sure that I'll ever actually need to reference issues Model Train Enthusiast from the mid-90s.

But these are all just unfamiliar circumstances that I have to navigate; the stress and uncertainty are just a result of that unfamiliarity.  I've encountered--and conquered--situations far more complex (and complicated) than this.  In just a few months, I'll be fully engrossed in the pursuit of my dream, and this will just be part of the "how we got here" story.

Until then, though: can someone give me the name of a mover who is trustworthy, shows up when they say they'll show up--and is cheap?

2 comments:

  1. Hi PJ - first of all, a big congrats on the Harvard acceptance! I've been reading quietly for the past several months, and I have to extend a huge thanks to you - your blog has played a major role in helping me navigate the admissions process. After several offers and much pondering, I'll be joining Maryland's Smith School of Business (Management & Organizations, Concentration: OB).

    On movers: My husband and I moved cities a couple of years ago (coincidentally, moving FROM Boston), and after scouring Angie's List and many phone calls / price quotes, settled on Excellent Moving and Storage. Moving, as you know, is always tricky and companies can be shady. So while I can't swear by anyone, I can say that our move was "smooth" apart from the usual stressors. They were timely and did not try to raise prices / jip us beyond reason at the last minute. So you might want to give them a call.

    Finally, it would be great to connect offline / in person at some point. I'll be at AOM this summer. Do ping me off the blog if you can.

    And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello IH,

      Congratulations on acceptance to such an incredible program! I have many friends there, and research collaborators who are recent grads from the Smith OB doctoral program--you're in great hands, and you'll have incredible opportunities open to you when you graduate.

      I'd love to connect at AoM--I'll be there as well (although only for a few days). Please drop me a note via email at paulgreenjunior (at) gmail (dot) com. I'd email you, but can't seem to figure out how to do that!

      Delete