Monday, February 21, 2011

CV Update

I've obsessed over my CV for a year, but thought it would be a good time to take an inventory of sorts.  First, the things that are long-gone (and that I can't change):
  • UGrad: low GPA from an unranked state college (10 years ago)
  • Grad: 4.0 MBA from second tier B-School
  • Work Experience:
    • 5 Years entrepreneurial experience (started a successful company)
    • 5 Years successful executive level experience with a large manufacturing company
And the things that I can still do something about (if I so choose):
  • GMAT: 750 (98 percentile); 48Q, 44V, 6.0 AWA.  Pretty happy with this; don't think I'll retake.
  • Research: 
    • Conferences: 5 presentations at 3 different conference (2 most prestigious conferences in the field; one international conference).  One PDW at Academy.
    • Papers: 2 under review (may have one accepted to a good journal by app-time); working on another. 
The question is: do the pros outweigh the cons (namely, the deplorable undergrad GPA)?  Not sure--but I'm told that the research experience I have coming in is pretty impressive; perhaps it'll be enough to outweigh the embarrassing undergrad credentials!

One way or the other, I'm certainly going to continue to focus on the research through the rest of the year.  Further, I plan to take a class or two (a calculus brush-up and perhaps a methods course).  Not sure what else I can do, at this point, to improve the CV.

No comments:

Post a Comment